Bree's LOST blog

"Do you think I did it on purpose? I was sailing for two and half weeks, bearing due West and making 9 knots. I should have been in Fiji in less than a week. But the first piece of land I saw wasn't Fiji, was it? No. No, it was here -- this, this island. And you know why? Because this is it. This is all there is left. This ocean and this place here. We are stuck in a bloody snow globe. There's no outside world. There's no escape. So, just go away, huh. Let me drink." ~"Live Together, Die Alone"

Friday, March 07, 2008

The Other Woman

There has been grumbling all across the boards this morning and this afternoon, as people were generally disappointed with last night's Juliet-centric "The Other Woman." The consensus is that the episode was forced, trying too hard to advance the plot line while not providing closure or reasoning on the part of the characters.

I disagree. I loved it.

I'm just going to come out and say it. I have been a dedicated Jate fan since the pilot episode, and have continued to be so through all the Ana-Lucias, the romps with Sawyer in the jungle. And I am over it. I am now a Jacket Fan. (Juliack fan? Neh. I like the former.) I don't know, Kate's been riding two horses with one ass now for so long, I'm just done with it. And I guess I just have a thing for guys who always feel the need to step up and protect the cute little woman. Could have done without the kiss though. I agree with everyone else who feels it was a bit too contrived.

Anyway, on to the meaty stuff. In "The Other Woman," we find out that Charles Widmore is the SuperBad Freigher Guy, desperate to find our island (in the sky?). Per Ben's commentary, Chucky is looking to exploit the island for all its' wondorous healing powers and whatnot. We also find out that Daniel Faraday and Charlotte Lewis were not looking to Release The Gas! but rather to Render The Gas Inert! and ultimately save everyone. (With only seconds to spare, Daniel finally was able to type stuff into a computer correctly.)

"The Other Woman" also marked, for the first time this season, a return to the flashback. (Well, sort of, unless you're counting the 1 minute or so flashback showing Naomi and Matthew Abbaddon scheming in some warehouse-y type thing.) And with this flashback, we found out that the previously disclosed relationship between Goodwin and Juliet was, in actuality, an adulterous relationship. Goodwin was married to the Others' pyschologist, employed as such because, as Juliet noted, (in quote of the week) "It's stressful being an Other." But, this isn't just any psychologist. Indeed not, Harper (as she's so named) can appear and disappear in the jungle! This had me wondering, since when she first appeared, I chalked her presence up to a Walt-Yemi-ChristianShepherd-type hallucination on Juliet's part, but when Jack was able to see her, too, my brow furrowed. Many people have noted that Harper appeared right before and after the whispers reached a climax, leading people to also ponder the whearabouts of the other Others.

Props to Michael Emerson, as well, for yet another stellar performance. His chilling, pseudo-stalker creepiness was at an all time high, and I CAN'T WAIT for the showdown between him and Jack.

I'm sorry, but that's really all I have time for today. Fatigue from the week and excitedness to see East Coasters here on the left coast this weekend have drained energy. If I come to any startling conclusions, I'll make sure to post again. Have a good weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home